I have to laugh about blogging sometimes because i've always been an intensely private person. I tend to keep problems and concerns close to the vest. But open a "new post" page and the words often just come spewing out. Maybe it's not so much that i was such a private person, but that words--verbally--don't always come easily. But the written word? Always easy for me. I have letters packed away in boxes. Long, long letters i've written over the years. I was never a consistent journal-writer, but i could ramble on and on in letters to friends. Put me with a group of people and i am quiet and a little nervous initially. But if i get comfortable then watch out! I can be nearly obnoxious with the verbal diarrhea. I started blogging within a community of wonderful women I knew in Maryland. I felt i could write pretty much anything and it wouldn't be judged harshly. Blogging became my "comfortable" forum. (So, are my posts my "verbal diarrhea?" I may have to rethink that...) Much of this blog will be very much like Happy Eyes--day-to-day events, stories about and pictures of my kids. Because that's my life, right? But i'm making an effort to delve a little deeper here. We'll see how that goes. (It may be a very short-lived blog. I'm not sure how much material i have!).
My blog title references one of my favorite Cat Stevens' songs. I've listened to and loved his music since early high school. I was always an old soul. When i was toying with ideas for this new blog, i was trying to think about who i am today. What i want to share. What i want to say. While it still rings true, i was annoyed that Cat Stevens kept popping into my head because that girl listened to and connected with his music (gulp!) 20 years ago! In some ways, i feel that i knew who i was in high school more than i do today. I had "deeper" thoughts. And ideas. Goals. Creative energy. And now, i'm sometimes not sure who i am as i juggle motherhood, marriage, friendships, being a daughter as an adult, and attempting to carve out time for myself. So, for now, this blog is my way of talking through who i am today. I'm
always love the updates on the boys, but can't wait to read some of your deep thoughts, especially as it relates to identity!
ReplyDeleteThis is pretty much how I feel. If I talk TO someone, I get my best stuff. Journal writing . . . not so much. So blogs it is, even if it's not very privatelike.
ReplyDeleteLovely post. I feel privileged to be able to share your new journey. And the easy words? I know about that. I call it the inverse rule of introverts. My friend is a total extrovert, so open and animated with all she meets, yet she really struggles to blog. I, on the other hand, can barely start a conversation with an old friend, but cannot seem to stop typing once I start.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to reading! I've also considered starting a new blog because too many people I know (like my mom!) read my current blog. I'd sorta like a place to write without worrying about who is reading.
ReplyDeletei'm jealous of the way you and erin can write...i look forward to all the posts and love pics of the boys!!
ReplyDeleteamen on all the cat stevens shite and growing up. it's all so surreal... i double dog dare you to write something....... PERSONAL! ;) (for instance, have you read the series on navel gazing??)
ReplyDelete