Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hopeful

I've worried for a long time about my relationship with Bode. He and i have struggled. I feel like we've gotten into this unhealthy pattern which is hard to put into words. To simplify, I'll just say that i am incredibly impatient with him and assume the worst. His sensory issues were partly to blame in the past, but now we both have bad habits. He has had a tendency to meltdown at the slightest perception of offense and i go right there with him. So when he makes a statement, it sounds accusatory. He asks a question, it sounds sassy. And i find myself exhausted from the moment he wakes up on the wrong side of his bed clear through till bedtime. I forget to listen before i assume he's being ornery, because sometimes he really is asking a sincere question. I don't give him a lot of chances. He is, underneath it all, this delightful, loving, wicked smart, delicious child. But i lose sight of that and tend to focus on his negativity.

I was talking to Donna, our "Brain Lady" (the child development specialist who created our home occupational therapy programs when he was 4) about my concerns with him last spring. And she said something that startled me. "It sounds like he has a poor bonding reflex." Yep. Sounds just as bad as what she meant. Like a startle reflex or other reflexes, there's a bonding reflex and ours is crappy.

I immediately went to my momma guilt closet and put it on. (None of these were Donna's suggestions nor did she intend to give me a guilt trip. It is all of my own making). If only he'd had a smoother birth and wasn't instantly traumatized. If only he hadn't needed resuscitation and i could have held him at delivery. If we'd only been able to get him to nurse, we would have bonded better. If only i'd known to hold him skin-to-skin when he was new. If i'd realized that i should have been snuggling him closer when giving him his bottles, we would have bonded better. If only i were more patient, understanding, laid-back instead of reacting to his "behavior" as he got older...And on and on. I cannot change any of those things. I have to change things in the present.

Sadly, we're still in a more negative-with-each-other than positive mode. And i'm very much aware of it and really want it to change for the better. I need to change my negative behavior and stop expecting his to magically disappear.

One thing I'm excited about is this...As i have started running again, i feel better. I always felt better when i was running. Natural serotonin, right? My body works better. I have fewer chronic aches and pains. But most importantly, I'm mentally "better."

Bode is a natural athlete. He picks up skills for sports very quickly. He loves golf and soccer and basketball. We've tried to instill in our kids the importance of physical activity. The boys know I am running and have a goal to run a 5K in early July and a 10K towards the end of July. When Bode heard this, he said he wanted to run a race, too. Happily, there is a kids' run in our neighborhood as part of the 5K race i'm doing. So, we signed the boys up. What i'm most excited about is that while i prefer to do my runs "solo," Doug has been out of town more often than usual lately so i've had to get creative. So everyone joins me. Soren in the jogger. And Bode and Keegen on their bikes. When Doug is home, Bode will join me on the last portion of my runs. And it's amazingly positive that we're all out there "training" together. We have a somewhat common goal. We are bettering ourselves together. And i'm hoping that this time spent together in a more positive way spills over into the mundane parts of our routine days at home.

11 comments:

  1. Love it!

    I love running while Jack rides his bike (but not with Kate because she complains the whole time... maybe it is a firstborn thing?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parent child relationships can be so hard. I know that I butt heads with Sophie a lot and I'm working hard to make our interactions positive. Don't you let that mama guilt get you down! You are an amazing mom! The running sounds like fun family times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes me think of the book, "bonds that make us free", by C. Terry Warner. have you read it?

    it changed my life, and i'm still working on a lot of what it discusses. would love to elaborate sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. how come drew comments on YOUR blog? ;)

    the beginning of your post reminded me of my relationship with mark. hmmmmmmmmm... maybe i should pick up that book.
    I LOVE that you guys are doing this together!! love it. it is something fiona would totally be into, too. what a great way to bond. and he is delicious. bring him over here so i can eat him up (with a couple of sides, please)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. because i'm not an invited reader...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds too much like me and Adam. :) The family training sounds like a lot of fun. I started running again this year and it's been great. I've convinced my running partner/friend to do a half-marathon in November. I hope my old lady body holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. drew, if you have a copy of that book, send it my way. (unless it's highlighted and much loved by you, then i can get my own).
    shannon, maybe i should plan a trip to mesa to run a 10-miler in October?? i have no intention of running more than 10 miles ever again...but YOU GO GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure!!! Have you been to Mesa in October though? It's still pretty warm but I'm used to it. :) I would run with you in a heartbeat. By then my training runs will be at least 10 miles. Which event is it? It would be perfect. Let's plan on it! We need to plan a trip regardless. It's been too long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, I could have written this post with very few revisions. Ethan is my tricky one. It seems it is worse in the spring--who knows why. But I am just as bad as he is. What a challenge.

    You know, my mom always says she would have killed us all and herself if she had not run 7 days a week for 10 years. Now that I've inherited her hormones and her moods, I know how she feels. Running is good for many reasons. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh friend. On so many levels (except the running one, I am TRYING to love it) I am feeling those feelings. May we both survive them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you shared this. I hope in the intervening days since you wrote that the writing of it helped a bit. I just read something in a book I've been reading called "Weakness is Not Sin" by Wendy Ulrich and it said that Forgiveness is giving up all hope of having a different past. It was mind-bending and at first sounded jarring and hopeless, but not so much now. Now it's like that scene in The Lion King where Rafiki hits Simba over the head and Simba says that it hurt and Rafiki says yes, the past can hurt, but it's in the past. You can either run from it or learn from it. Does that make any sense? I should stop now,but I love you and understand how you're feeling. Be good to yourself.

    ReplyDelete