Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Day of School

While our rental house is a bit of a nightmare, we are very happy with the neighborhood itself and the schools. We live a short bike ride away and the boys were very exited to have the option to ride their bikes to school. Me? I was excited, too, but dreading the afternoon in this never-ending 100+ degree heat. But who am i to crush their dreams?



Soren's got the sweet-seat behind me. It takes just a few minutes to ride, but we end up having to walk at the path to the school because it jams with kids and parents walking. A popular cut-through for folks not wanting to deal with the headache of actually driving their kids to the school drop-off.

Anywho. It's been a week and a half and we've ridden every.single.day. The kids love it. I like it for the most part. I like that it's a positive way to spend time together. We are a team on a mission to get to and from school. Positive start to the day. Positive finish to the school day. We chat a little bit on the way there and i get small scoops of info on the way home. I'm looking forward to the temps dropping and then i will love it, too.


Post-ride in front of the school


Bode in Ms. Howle's class




I didn't dare flip this photo. I've lost it twice for some reason after it was turned. So sideways it remains. Isn't he cute?

Both boys have been very positive about each and every day they've had so far. Keegen's teacher seems ideal--very experienced, loving and kind and fun. Keegen said to me, "Mom, do you know that Mrs. Painter is almost the nicest person i've ever known?" That tells me pretty much everything i need to know! Bode's teacher does not come across as fun at all but seems kind and has, i'm guessing, 40+ years of experience. She's extremely strict which i think will be OK in the end. He will definitely learn responsibility and other sort of "life skills," shall we say. I was overwhelmed with a grateful feeling as i left school that first day. I've anxiously anticipated this change. This move to Texas and away from everything and everyone my boys have ever known. The familiar school and pace and expectations are gone. And i was really nervous for them. Bode especially. Keegen went in to his classroom and was instantly comfortable. A hug and a goodbye. I went in with Bode, too. He was nervous about where to put his stuff. I helped him with that and sort of lingered once he was in his chair as pictured above. And he was fine. FINE. Goodbyes were said and i left. It overwhelms me the progress he's made from such extreme and painful separations when he was younger to this confidence. Still sensitive. A wee bit nervous. But fine. It's gonna be OK.

As for Soren, she's pretty much devastated that she can't stay and go to school, too. And with a late September birthday? She gets to wait a very long time (private kindergarten anyone?).

Post-edit: Just read this and the next post and realized i repeated myself quite a bit. Leaving it that way. I must feel the need to have things mentioned ad-nauseum?

1 comment:

  1. It didn't feel repeaty to me. Perhaps I was skimmy? But it sounds like a good start to the year. I kind of want a bike and trailer. It looks fun.

    ReplyDelete