Evidently, it's been so long since i've posted that the entire Blogger format has changed. I'm very confused. And listening to a belligerent near-two-year old yell from her bed. So, call me annoyed and distracted, too. Some random thoughts this evening to jumpstart the ol' blog...
We've moved. To Texas. At the height of summer and the hottest summer since 1980. Records being smashed every which way. Most consecutive days at 100 or above. But. Not just 100 or 102. We've been 105-111. Our intention was to get to Texas mid-July to give the kids a chance to get to know some kids in the 'hood and at church. We showed up to church to be told the vast majority of families high-tail it out of here July and August (where do they go, you ask? COLORADO AND UTAH). In hindsight? We should have stayed in Colorado until school started there (early August) and then headed here. Hindsight, why are you always 20/20?
The rental house is horrible. It was filthy when we arrived and it's been a challenge at best to get comfortable. Bug infestations. Animal hair and nasty carpet (finally replaced but they didn't replace the pad so the place still smells like B.O.). Multitude of things simply not working. Someone got in and stole the stove and microwave just before we moved in (even though the locks were changed, this unnerved me a bit). And mold. There is mold on the air vents and we assume inside the ducts and HVAC system. The house smelled musty for the first week or so--i didn't realize at the time that this was a sign of mold. Mold would explain why Bode suddenly had this scary asthmatic wheeze after a few days in the house (he's never been asthmatic, just allergic). And it possibly explains my sore throats, horribly itchy/rashy legs and allergy symptoms. We just got the test results back today and need to talk to the property manager in the morning. This house has made what was going to be a difficult move pretty much awful.
Amazingly, the boys adapted pretty well (Bode's had some serious struggles but i don't feel like chronicling them here/now). Adapted well to the heat. To the lack of friends. Yes they fought more. But really they've done well. They were super-excited that we live on an actual block and thrilled with the freedom to RIDE AROUND THE BLOCK BY THEMSELVES! Awesome. Bode's chain kept falling off so he got a new bike, stat (he'd outgrown it anyway and now it awaits Keegen). Bode especially will ride around and around and around. It's been like a ghost town, though. No other children/people outdoors. Who can blame them, really?
School started this past Monday. The boys have tucked away three really positive days and i am pleased. I am not impressed with the curriculum i see so far (Keegen, work on counting to 10? Write your first name? Sight word: I. Child's going to be BORED if that pace doesn't quicken). He said to me yesterday, "Mom, did you know that kindogawden waste-es almost my enti-yo day?" Poor kid. He's exhausted. But he seems happy. Bode's been positive which is encouraging. We've been in desperate need of routine, especially for B, and we're getting it back. His teacher is old-school. Meaning, i think she's been teaching for 40+ years. She doesn't seem particularly "fun" but i'm hoping she might be just what he needs. He may not learn a lot academically, but she runs a tight ship, has expectations/consequences/rewards spelled out, emphasizes manners and working together and all sorts of good stuff. He thrives on that. If he could only bring home his "at-school behavior," too, then that would be awesome.
We live less than a mile from the school so we were excited to be able to bike there and back. We are quite the spectacle in an area that people really only drive. It's me riding my mountain bike with Soren in tow in the trailer. Bode on his orange bike. And Keegen on his tiny bike. I think people think we're nuts. And i might agree with that sentiment on our treks home when it's 105 degrees. I love it in the morning. It's in the high 80's then and very do-able. But i've started to dread the pick-up at 3pm. I'm this ugly, sweaty, helmet-headed THING. The people who do walk? They drive their kids to the bike path we use and walk them from there to avoid the heinousness that is dropping off and picking up at our school.
I tried to have a positive attitude when we were in the process of moving here. I really did. And then we got here and things sucked. I'm not in a great mental space right now. And honestly, i look around me and think this is one God-forsaken place. And if one more person says something like (after the sympathetic, "Why did you leave Colorado for Texas?!"), "Oh, but the people are so nice here" i just might go ballistic on them. OBVIOUSLY people here don't get out much if they think people are only so nice in Texas. And if that's your only selling point, that's pretty sad. Right now? It's way too hot. Way too ugly. The main attraction is shopping and eating out (two things i enjoy immensely but are not my be-all's and end-all's. I said to our realtor when talking to her about things we're looking for in a house/neighborhood, "I just have to believe there's more to life than shopping and eating out." Her response, "Well, i'm afraid you're going to be very disappointed here then." HA! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I did love her honesty).
So. There's a glimpse of what's going on over here. I'm sure you're excited to come back for the next installment!
OH, friend. I'm happy for the good things but LAME about all the lame things!!! I hope the rental house stuff gets sorted out and that maybe you can find some redeeming qualities about that really hot place where you live now. i love my vision of you all riding to school :)
ReplyDeleteYikes that rental house sounds like no fun. I hope that it cools down there soon and that you are able to find a great permanent place. I've never been to TX, but I've known some TX loving people. Let's hope they don't just love it for the shopping and restaurants.:)*Hugs* to you!
ReplyDelete