Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Morning Gratitude

I've been trying to really get into a groove with running. This means running consistently. I call myself a runner and have considered myself a runner most of my life. But i haven't been running consistently for the past 8 years.

This morning i woke to frigid temperatures and just enough snow on the ground to make it slick. Having in mind my above goal, I got breakfast ready for the kids who then woke up Doug. Then i drove to the rec center to run on the treadmill. Just a quick run to maintain that consistency. But. I HATE running on treadmills. Tedium. My body is slow but feels slower on a treadmill. My cardio isn't where i want it to be. My knees ache and so do my sides. There's a pain in my right shoulder and i can't quite get my breathing in a comfortable rhythm. Oh my gosh, i can't stand this. This is AGONY.

Then a young man walked in with his father. He had the posture and stance of someone with cerebral palsy. He was probably in his early 20's and even through the awkward twisted walk and tell-tale muscle stiffness that give the appearance of contracted joints, his body looked strong. His father motioned to a treadmill next to me. But the young man chose instead to get on a bike in front of me. Riding that bike? You couldn't see his disability. His movements were smooth and easy.

I continued to plod along behind him, but with a different attitude. I've been blessed with a body that is whole and healthy. My movements are fairly effortless. I can move from one place to another without a lot of thought or planning. My muscles respond how i expect them to. I have lungs that can expand and a heart that can compensate and learn to do more work as i push it.

This isn't to say i looked at him and felt sorry for him. He certainly didn't appear to feel sorry for himself. But it made me look at myself and realize how much i take for granted in my life. And i was grateful for that bit of perspective this morning.

2 comments:

  1. damn straight! and good job on running, even on a crappy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder for us all. I'm on break from running (sciatica-don't know yet if it is just being 44 or if it is a disc problem) and and am actually getting the point where I'm missing it. I think every run is a triumph!

    ReplyDelete