Sunday, November 7, 2010

What's Goin' On

So. I'm sick. And i'm not a good sick person this time around. I feel AWFUL. Sore throat, congestion, body aches, chills. Yes, i got my flu shot. Bode's got it. Keegen's got something but of a different flavor. Doug and Soren are still healthy (PLEASE stay that way!). Mom's should NEVER get sick. It just doesn't work.

But as i type that sentence "Mom's should never get sick" i realize i shouldn't be complaining too much. We have a good friend who was just diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer. She's 32. She has a 3 year old and a 2 year old. She'll soon have 4 monhts of chemo followed by a double mastectomy followed by reconstruction followed possibly by radiation. I'll be having her boys over a lot over the next few months and hope to be someone she won't hesitate to rely on.

Over the past three weeks we've been to SLC and back. Had Doug's parents here and had my sister and her girls here. Really great times, all of it. My house still hasn't recovered from the weeks of neglect. If i could just ship my kids off for a week, i think i might get it under control. Post forthcoming on the above events (eventually).

They're already playing Christmas music on the local radio station. Not cool. I drove to the outlets in Castle Rock yesterday (i can shop, even in a weakened state) and very quickly steered clear of that station. TOO SOON!

Admittedly, though, i am excited for Christmas. I've made all but one of my Christmas book advent bags, have plans to make more for gifts. And there are other small things i'd like to make if i can ever catch up on my house and get healthy.

I've been spending way too much money and need to settle down. Not anything extravagant. Little things i think the kids need. Getting a start on Christmas. Ikea and Sundance outlet and Downeast in SLC. For what i've been spending on clothes lately, you'd think i could look a little more pulled together. More money going out the door for Christmas, a trip to Idaho for Christmas and then a trip to Oregon for Doug's brother's wedding in February. I don't think we'll ever make it to Hawaii. Maybe when i'm extra-old and extra-saggy?

Oh. Speaking of. I found pictures of Doug and me when we were in Aruba in 2000. Me in a cherry-covered bikini in crystal blue water. Great legs and abs. A sad sad day was that discovery!

Bode is doing well in school. We had a classroom change (i should probably blog about that) a month ago and i think things are much better now. He seems happy to go to school. Enjoys his friends and lunch and recess.

Keegen is a handful. He's become much more rambunctious which people look at me and say, "What? Like a 4-year old boy?!" Yes. But with a large dose of disrespect. So i'm trying to figure out how to reign him in without squashing the crazy, fun spirit that's always made him who he is.

Soren. I feel like i post about her a lot. She's awesome. Beats up on the boys a bit. Is demanding to feed herself with a spoon or fork. I love watching her walk--belly leading the way.

We moved our bookcases out of the basement and put them in the playroom/loft upstairs. Why it took us 4 1/2 years to realize this was the perfect place for them i don't know. I've always been annoyed that there wasn't a great place to put those bookcases and left my books to the dust in the basement. Then the kids' bookcase has been overflowing for about 6 months now. The board books went in a bin under Keegen's bed. I looked for another bookcase to put in Keegen's room, but just couldn't find one i was willing to pay for. So...I USED WHAT I HAD! Crazy thought, huh? And they're great up there. Makes the room a bit cozier but in a good way. Doug attached them to the wall so Soren can't knock them over should she choose to climb them. She needs to learn to treat books with some amount of gentleness. How to instill that in a 13-month old? Only the board books are on the bottom shelves. But she did some serious damage to The Very Quiet Cricket...

There's hope for the future with Doug's crazy job. He's been asked with the most recent reorg to take on some special project that will hopefully equal more reasonable hours. Once they fill his current position and transition things should be nicer around here.

3 comments:

  1. i'm sorry, what did you say? i'm so distracted by the photo on the previous post, that i simply cannot pay attention to much else. i suggest you remove it.... so i can focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to catch up on everything! You are a busy busy woman! I hope you are feeling better. We are on round 2 of the flu around here. And we all got flu shots too!! Don't you let those Aruba pics get you down - you look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so behind on reading blogs that I'm secretly glad you haven't posted in a while. I loved reading all these stories and hope the month since has been okay for you. Eric just accepted an offer for a new job that is farther away and makes less money, but the working conditions will be so much better that he's going to accept. That's how bad things have gotten. Bless these guys' hearts. I hope things even out for Doug.

    ReplyDelete