Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When I Am an Old Woman...

...I hope and pray that i won't be a crotchety curmudgeon like many of the older folks i have been around lately.

The old woman who gives Bode his allergy shots twice weekly. What a peach. Our first encounter involved her instant exasperation with us (our stroller was not parked in an appropriate place in the waiting room; i had the audacity to be gently turning a globe that was decor in the waiting room to show my boys the different continents to keep them occupied). She was condescending and rude and i wouldn't have been surprised if she'd slapped my hand right then and there. It's so uncomfortable for us in the office that i choose to sign in, get the shot, and then wait with the kids in the hall for the 30 minutes we're required to wait. Today i didn't want to sit in the waiting room before the shot and she made some snide remark about that. I think she thinks she's perfectly kind and reasonable, just pointing out her "rules." But truly, she's crabby and out of line.

The old man who runs the post office up the road. Every time i've gone in there (which, thankfully isn't often because we have a satellite post office here in town for most needs), he's got some comment, or complaint. Something that i have not done to his liking. My children are too loud. I wrote my check to "USPS" which is too close "UPS." I didn't have enough tape covering the seams of the box. Master of his domain, for sure.

Next, one old woman yelled at me to get off my cellphone when i was driving as i pulled into Target. Yes, i know it's safer to NOT be on one's cellphone when driving. But you know what's less safe? Yelling at me when i'm driving and talking on my cellphone, because then i have this intense desire to veer in your direction and RUN YOU DOWN.

Old age? Not a good excuse for bad behavior.

2 comments:

  1. well, maybe you already read my comment about the old woman that wanted to give ME some advice. or... maybe i was the crumudgeon in that scenario??

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. True. I wonder if I'll be that person, and I certainly hope not, but I find myself being "prickly" a lot to my family. I wonder if that will expand to the world in my later years . . . note to self NOT to be like that.

    ReplyDelete